Friday, June 17, 2011

Donald would rather be major champ

Being No.1 in the world is a great honour, but Luke Donald would take Phil Mickelson's four majors instead. Donald, still without a major win, is preparing for yet another attempt at rectifying that at Congressional starting Thursday, where he'll tee off alongside Lee Westwood and Martin Kaymer in a star-studded group. It's clear that despite all Donald has achieved so far this year, his lack of major victories is still something he would dearly love to change.

"Certainly being NO.1 is a great achievement, but if you ask me if I would swap that for Phil's record, sure," Donald said at Congressional on Tuesday.
"I would love to take his majors and the number of victories he's had. But I'll continue to feed off all the good things that have got me to number one and hopefully I can add to my victories too.
"It's dangerous to go and expect too much and come to a tournament expecting to win," he replied when asked about his chances this week.
"But I expect to do what I know I can do - and obviously the goal is always to have a chance on Sunday and to contend.
"I've been doing that a lot lately and there's no reason why I can't do it this week."

And defending champion Graeme McDowell agrees.
"I've played with him a few times this season and he has been really, really impressive," he said.
"I always knew he had a great wedge game and great putting stroke. He's driving it a lot better and he's really got the whole package now."

No comments:

Post a Comment